[PLUG-TALK] Frys out of hard drives

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Jan 29 22:35:15 UTC 2012

The Friday Fry's ad in the Oregonian (four big pages of expensive
distracting stuff) had no ads for hard drives.  They've been
advertising hard drives for 30+ years (since their first store
advertised in the San Jose Mercury).  ?

Yesterday, I stopped at Frys on the way back from Woodburn.
The hard drive shelf was nearly bare - a couple of reboxed
250 and 320 GB drives, and a dozen 4TB drives ($399 each!).
I expect those to be gone within a week.

I asked the clerk (who, for once, seemed to be a knowledgable
geek) and he said their next shipment of hard drives /might/
be in March.  And they'd been told that prices weren't going
to start dropping again until 2013.

Prices are climbing everywhere;  Amazon and NewEgg prices
are almost triple last summer's prices.  Still, I may be
buying one or two spares, because losing a drive in three
months, and not being able to replace it at any price,
could screw up productivity.

Rule #1 - don't build all your hard drive factories in
one place - Thailand, San Jose, or any other one place.