[PLUG-TALK] Rare photos: gnu crashes Windows 8 launch (fwd)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 27 13:10:36 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Happy (almost) Halloween, everybody,

You've probably been noticing Microsoft's ads for their new operating system
-- after all, they've spent more money on them than any other software
launch campaign in history. In fact, everything about the campaign has been
meticulously planned and optimized, so you can imagine journalists' surprise
when an unexpected guest showed up at an invite-only launch event on
Thursday.

Our volunteer, Tristan Chambers, was there and caught the whole thing on
camera! Pictures here:
<http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/gnus-trick-or-treat-at-windows-8-launch>.

Reporters and security guards at the event weren't sure how to react when
they were greeted by a real, live gnu. The gnu -- which, on closer
inspection, was an activist in a gnu suit -- had come for some early
trick-or-treating. But instead of candy, she had free software for the eager
journalists. The gnu and the FSF campaigns team handed out dozens of copies
of Trisquel, a fully free GNU/Linux distribution, along with press releases
and stickers. Once they got over their confusion, the reporters were happy
to see us and hear our message -- that Windows 8 is a downgrade, not an
upgrade, because it steals users' freedom, security and privacy.

Free software operating systems are the real upgrade, and they don't need a
zillion-dollar launch event to prove it. To show Microsoft that their ads
won't change our minds, we're starting an upgrade pledge: switch to a free
OS, or if you're already using one, help a friend switch. We can pay
Microsoft a chunk of change for their new, proprietary OS, or we can stand
up for our freedom. The choice isn't as hard as Microsoft wants you to
think.

Sign the pledge now! -- <http://www.fsf.org/windows8/pledge>.

Thanks for making a commitment to free software.

PS - If you'd like more details about the action, you can check out
our press release here:
<http://www.fsf.org/news/activists-trick-or-treat-for-free-software-at-windows-8-launch-event-1>.

-Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager
--
Follow us on identi.ca at http://identi.ca/fsf | Subscribe to our blogs via RSS at http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS
Join us as an associate member at http://www.fsf.org/jf

*Make sure we have your correct location information: <https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/profile/edit?gid=34&reset=1&id=259619&cs=6e6bc42b2a440194581d41842c7119ce_1351302937_168>* -- please do not forward this email with this link intact.

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

51 Franklin Street
Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110-1335