[PLUG-TALK] Cheap KCl

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jul 27 02:27:59 UTC 2013

I desire to use potassium chloride in food in place of sodium chloride.
The cheapest I can find in grocery stores is $7.99 for 11 oz. The box
stores will sell you a 40 pound bag for ~$27 which they label "for
water softeners" (Morton and other brands). They also sell an even
cheaper version as an ice melter.

I am thinking that the water softener stuff ends up in the household
water, so it must be pure enough for human consumption.

Is there something I have failed to consider? Why pay $465 for 40
pounds of the stuff on the grocery store shelf? Where has my thinking
gone wrong?