[PLUG-TALK] old sun systems available

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Fri Apr 18 02:47:38 UTC 2014

I have a couple of Sun systems I would like to get rid of.  One is a
SPARCstation 20, the other an Ultra 60.  The ss20 is free to anyone who
wants it.  I've been debating whether to attempt to sell the u60 or just
give it away.  I see similar machines being sold on ebay for ~$150, but
it's not clear that it's worth the effort, given its size and the cost
of shipping.  If anyone wants to offer me a token sum for it, I'd
probably take it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCstation_20
75 MHz SuperSPARC
128 MB RAM
2 GB disk
TX video
type 5 keyboard and mouse
NVRAM condition unknown
barebones Solaris 8 installed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_60
450 MHz UltraSPARC-II
1.25 GB RAM
2 x 36 GB disk
CD-ROM drive
afb Elite3D video
type 6 keyboard and mouse
NVRAM appears to be good (off by only a few seconds after being powered
down for multiple years)
full Solaris 8 install
full Solaris 8 SPARC media kit

BTW, the u60 will support two CPUs, and I just saw someone selling 450
MHz CPU boards for $12 on ebay.

I used these machines to run Altera and Xilinx FPGA software before they
got their act together and supported Linux.

Please let me know if you're interested.  I'd also welcome input as to
whether you think the u60 is worth anything.

thanks,
galen
--
Galen Seitz