[PLUG-TALK] The End of An Era

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 4 23:11:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014, David Mandel wrote:

> And it is sad to die from Alzheimer's disease at the relatively young age
> of 77. I usually think of Alzheimer's disease hitting people in their late
> 80s or 90s.

David,

   It is much worse to live with Alzheimer's disease for both the patient and
the family. My father died from it at the age of 93, but he started
deteriorating about 20 years before then.

   The worst part is when the patient recognizes that his (her) memory is
going; they can clearly remember events from decades in the past, but not
whether they had eaten a meal even immediately after finishing. I'm certain
that my father was not alone in asking to be killed because when he was
aware that his brain was deteriorating he did not want to continue living
like that. It's really too bad that those who oppose euthanasia for
themselves insist on forcing that point of view on others who disagree.

   In my opinion, and that of my sister, Alheimer's disease is the absolutely
worst illness to have because the patient has to remain like a vegetable
until the heart gives out. Try visiting an advanced Alzheimer's ward some
time to see the shells of people sitting there waiting to die.