[PLUG-TALK] Hacking in TV SHows

Daniel Herrington herda05 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 21:22:24 UTC 2014

All,

I know that television is no representation of reality, but I sat through
an Australian show called "The Code" and became perturbed at the old
hacking trope of the hacker hiding his ip by routing through various
pinpoints on a map of the globe. The security guys then track him backwards
through each of those points, with the drama built up using the time it
takes to find the hackers location. All of this occurs in real time.

I began thinking about it though, and having been in enterprise networking
and operations for over 15 years it just doesn't make sense. If I was going
to hack a site, wouldn't I setup a whole slew of machines across the globe
I can leapfrog through? No one could find out the original source unless
they went to each machine, trawled through access logs, isolated the
downstream machine, rinse and repeat.

I haven't done computer forensics, but is that essentially how it works? I
can't think of another way to chase a hacker in real time through across
multiple domains through the internet? Is there some other way I'm just
ignorant of?

thanks,

--
Daniel B. Herrington