[PLUG-TALK] Software Release Nomenclature

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Mar 26 20:24:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> And they're fun to devise; concocting hostname schemes is one of the
>> longest-tenured perks of being a sysadmin.
>
>  That's a perspective that would never have occurred to me.

At work, I currently monitor 99 on-site named hosts. Some have
device-specific names (ap-01, sw-0199), but most are just English
words. We have a couple larger groupings of computers that have naming
themes (local hotels for one, mineral names for another).

Then we have a whole class of more-or-less whimsically named machines:

* locker (which succeeded attic) for backups
* oz (frank, not wizard of) for embedded device control
* grind for Java development
* pane, porthole, skylight are (or were) our Windows servers
* deathstar, our largest computer
* cerf, a web server
* ... and many, many more

It's a simple joy, but a joy nonetheless.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W