[PLUG-TALK] Telemarketer bot

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Feb 2 23:06:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> In this for Keith Loftstrom special
>
>    So what do you do if you’re getting annoying and repeated
>    telemarketer calls? Well, you can transfer them to me if you
>    want. My robot is happy to chat with anyone. Some of my best
>    calls were routed through my mobile. The audio levels are a
>    little lower, so my robot may not detect noise/silence correctly,
>    but it’s usually a pretty good time.
>
> http://jollyrogertelephone.com/how-to-send-your-telemarketers-to-this-robot/

A friend of a friend took a more analog approach while he was laid up
in bed for several weeks. His goal became to keep telemarketers on the
phone for as long as possible. He'd say "tell me more" a lot. He'd
spin stories. When it came time to arrange for payment, he'd ask for a
loan (using with a sob story). To hear my friend Steve tell the story,
the guy got really, really good at it.

Of course, you've got to have a lot of time to waste -- but this was
well before Netflix et al. came on the scene and even telemarketers
probably beat daytime television hands down.