[PLUG-TALK] Telemarketer bot

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Feb 3 21:27:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 06:06:04PM -0500, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> A friend of a friend took a more analog approach while he was laid
> up in bed for several weeks. His goal became to keep telemarketers
> on the phone for as long as possible.

The father of my friend Jim Smith was a university professor,
hosting friends for dinner.  When a telemarketer call came in,
he shushed his friends and put the call on speakerphone.  When
the elaborate spiel finished, the prof. said "Now ... that ...
was 'right ... interesting.  ... But you talk ... a little
--- fast.  ... Would you kindly ... repeat that ... more
... SLOWLY ... please?"

After two more cycles of that, with the telemarketer /crawling/
through his spiel, he realized he was being had, cursed, and
the dinner party erupted in laughter.  Done properly, this
can waste LOTS of telemarketer time, amuse friends, and
improve academic standing.

This also applies to door-to-door political canvassers.
Disagree with the canvasser?  Don't let them know - engage
them in an hour of enthusiastic agreement, don't let them
know your smile is contemptuous, and you will keep them
from talking to 10 other people that day.  ("did you know
that Jesus was almost aborted?  Yes, it's true!")

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com