[PLUG-TALK] Bike wheel truing app

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Feb 24 03:08:23 UTC 2016

For security reasons, I do not yet have a "smart" phone,
though when I get around to it I have ideas to fix that.

That aside, while truing a wheel on my bike, I told
myself "there's gotta be an app for this." There are
sound apps that will listen to plucked spokes and
estimate tension.

Beyond that, it should be possible to analyze a video of
a turning wheel and estimate which spokes need how many
turns with the wrench, with the app saying "spin the
wheel", "faster", "slower", "next spoke", "no, the other
way", "pluck the spoke", "tighten half a turn", "loosen
a quarter turn", etc., guiding a bike mechanic (pro or
amateur) through an optimum series of tweaks.

This seems like an obvious thing for a Portland bicycle
riding software geek to develop.  Is such an app out
there, and I'm merely ignorant of it?  Is there a $$$
app that needs to be crushed by an open source one?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com