[PLUG-TALK] Exploitable Bug in a Programming Language?

Charles Sliger chaz at bctonline.com
Thu Jun 2 20:18:09 UTC 2016

It is certainly possible for a programming language to make writing
insecure code easier.  C does this by design.

It is also possible for a language, through its compiler or interpreter,
to generate/execute code that is insecure. Think 'buffer overflows' or
'heap management'.  The higher-order the language, the more hidden code
there is, and the more you are subject to the level of rigor used by the
implementor.

It is also, of course, possible for the creator of a compiler to make it
insert malicious code in programs it compiles. This was famously laid
out by Ken Thompson in his Turing Award speech "Trusting Trust".

--
-chaz
Charles Sliger