[PLUG-TALK] Internet Culture and the Decline of Reasoned Discourse

wes plug at the-wes.com
Sun Jun 19 10:43:50 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016, Vedanta Teacher wrote:
>
> > Personally I consider FB/Twitter/ et.at. to be such massive security
> risks
> > that I refuse to use them.
>
>    Aren't these the digital equivalents of bumper stickers? They are the
> opinions publicly expressed to folks who don't care about the  sticker
> adherer's opinions.

I like the bumper sticker analogy, however social networks are all about
getting better access to the opinions and goings-on of those you DO care
about. They make it trivially easy to ignore those you don't. As with any
other type of grouping, voicing opinions on controversial topics is
dangerous and should be done with great care. Perhaps someday I will learn
to do this.

-wes