[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Need an OLD style BASIC

Tom tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 13:14:52 PST 2017

Posting to plug-talk in a hope of not to be kicked out of this list ...

I recognize that this is probably weekend discussion and it might taste
little better over some/lot-of beer.... so please do not overreact.

Are we really going to learn nothing from our past and seriously discus
benefits of old Basic to the humankind? Seriously, are we going to
glorify torture in the tech too? How about beauty of programming in
SalesForce, SQL, Xml or Objective C, take your pick!?!

Is this some sort of prisoner's dilemma - being locked-in for decades
by a miscarriage of justice, then freed, and a few decades years later
we long for the good times at the prison?

Where do I start with the pain of the old Basic - lack of decent
abstraction support, lack of support for modular design, encapsulation,
no name spaces to speak of, the data structures, the goto hell,
absolutely unreadable beyond few hundred lines of code - without
tractor printer and long corridors .... The only thing about it was
that it pretty much resembled assembler....

What more to say - Just imagine that they would write Unix or GNU or
Linux kernel in it. On the other hand, I'd like to imagine world where
Windows is written in Basic.

Grrr... Christmas again