[PLUG-TALK] The purpose of PLUG-TALK

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 22 06:06:38 UTC 2017

We have four lists:

PLUG:  All things Linux (+ BSD + other Uni*, IMHO )

PLUG-ANNOUNCE:  meeting announcements and administrivia,
for those who do not want to wade the discussions on the
PLUG main list.

PLUG-JOBS:  remember the good old days, when there were
jobs?  Look at the old archives, and reminisce!

And, last but not least:

PLUG-TALK: everything else.  EVERYTHING else.  It is the
relief valve that keeps the other lists focused.

Subscribe to one, or two, or all groups ... if you don't
like the typical traffic on a group, unsubscribe.  I and
others will nag you if you misuse PLUG or PLUG-ANNOUNCE.

We actually suspended a few folks over the years for
abusing the main PLUG list, but one or two are back and
behaving themselves ... and I'm kinda proud that their
improved behavior might be partly due to those thankfully
temporary suspensions, and hope their new maturity helps
them socially and vocationally.

PLUG-TALK is a safety valve for many of us.  Many of us
enjoy talking about many things, not just Linux, and we
share interests in addition to Linux.  With many of the
group, I share a love of simple nature, strange home
improvements, science, math, and everyday cycling.

And sometimes discussions related to Linux can turn
political; net neutrality or municipal networks, for
example.  PLUG-TALK is a good place to disagree about
the politics and implementation of such things.

I will probably ask to kick people off PLUG-TALK if they
discuss blatantly illegal and offensive activity.  But
even there, my own tolerance level is high - sexism and
information crime is worth a discussion, planning rape
or violence or vandalism is not.  If someone is a sexist
twit, or attacks networks, I want a chance to argue them
out of it.  People learn and mature.  If I can help them,
they might develop into friend someday, or help me with
my own failings.

And so far, nobody has tried to use PLUG-TALK that way.
Censoring PLUG-TALK is worthy of discussion - on PLUG-TALK.
I will argue against.  If you don't like "within charter"
discussion on any of the PLUG lists ... don't subscribe.

-----

“I wholly disapprove of what you say — and will defend
to the death your right to say it.”

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall's 1919 misattribution to Voltaire.
- see https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/06/01/defend-say/

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com