[PLUG-TALK] Transmit audio wirelessly from computer to stereo

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Oct 21 18:05:14 UTC 2017

On 10/21/2017 10:33 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> During the day I stream internet radio from my desktop to my stereo,
> and at night I watch movies on the desktop and listen to the audio on
> my stereo. I have done this for years, and for all that time the
> connection has been a very long wire. 'Long' means about 7.5 meters.
>
> Previously the room was a mess with wires all over, so I didn't mind
> one more wire. But now the room is being remodeled and everything is
> going to be inside the walls. However, there is no easy way to put a 20
> foot audio cable inside the walls and, even if I did, it would have to
> be twice as long to go around corners. So I am considering some kind of
> transmitter from the desktop's audio jack to the stereo's audio input
> jacks.

If you still have access to the walls, I'd go with cables. Back in the
'90s, when I first put Cat 5 cable in a few walls, I also ran audio
cable (stock stereo cables with RCA plugs on each end) from the living
room up to my office. I needed long runs, so I have connectors between
to lengths of cable. I think I put in 20' each. I taped the connectors
to the cables with electrical tape. These junctions are accessible
without opening up a wall, but if the junction would have had to have
been in the middle of a wall, I would have put a box in the wall so the
junction could be accessible.

I have a different setup now, so they're not currently in use, but they
worked fine when I used them.

I, too, am not a total audiophile, but I do appreciate good quality
sound. We bought a pair of Klipsch Heresys back in the '70s, and are
very happy with them. I'd rather have a pair of Klipschorns, but I've
never had a room with two free corners. The budget didn't allow for
them, either. :-)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens