[PLUG-TALK] Bye-bye SpiritOne!!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 25 15:06:28 PDT 2017

   Today ... finally! ... Frontier completed the fiber installation (15Mbits
down/5Mbits up).

   First they said I could have a DSL connection, but that's only for their
wholesale accounts around here.

   Second, they scheduled installation for Friday 13 October, but didn't show
up, call, or otherwise contact me.

   Third, last Thursday the installer showed up and found a cable kink in the
conduit on the other side of the street. He couldn't dig around; that's done
by the horizontal drilling contractor and they could not do it before
yesterday because the underground pipe marking companies had to paint the
lawn, sidewalks, and street before any drilling or digging. But, the
installer mounted and wired the outside and inside boxes while he was here.

   Finally, this morning he ran the cable to the other side of the house and
finished the installation. It took Frontier's engineering department a bit
before they had the connection working bidirectionally.

   Then I could not connect past my router. Thanks to Wes' patient help on
the phone I got into Netgear's admin page (having overlooked the password in
my secret password file) and re-configured it for the new Frontier static IP
address, subnet mask, and gateway. About 1 hour ago I changed my DNS records
at NameCheap.com to the new IP address and expect that it will soon propogate
so I can once again send mail.

   Please let me know if you don't receive this.