[PLUG-TALK] Sears doomed

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Jun 1 18:45:31 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-01 11:02, Rich Shepard wrote:
<snip>
>   JC Penny is in the same leaky boat.
>
>   The large, nationwide brick-and-mortar (or cinderblock) retailers
> didn't
> respond to the likes of Amazon so it's not surprising that they're on
> the
> close-out rack.

Sears was built on mail-order, and prospered on the spread and
decentralization of America.  The storefronts were originally an adjunct
to the core catalog-sales operation.

I remember when Sears abruptly shut down its catalog operation and the
distribution warehouse in Seattle.  It was one year before the founding
of Amazon.

Oops.

Mah couturier is JC Penn-ay,
   Aaron