[PLUG-TALK] Thunderbird delays

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Wed Mar 14 17:54:38 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> On 03/14/2018 07:27 AM, Bill Barry wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:20 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Over the last few months I've been experiencing delays when typing or
>> mousing in Thunderbird. I have compressing set to automatically ask me if I
>> want to compress, and usually agree. I've cleaned out old stuff from time
>> to time, but probably still have more than I need. Is there anything else
>> that would cause a delay of up to a second between typing a character and
>> seeing it on the screen? It's not every character, but it has happened
>> three times during the typing of this message.
>>

> Maybe some other process on the system slowing things down.  Does top show
> any unusual activity.
>

> VirtualBox is consistently using 4.3% of the CPU and 28.4% of the memory,
> and Thunderbird bounces between 1% of the CPU and 8% of the memory,
> increasing when I'm typing, which makes sense. As I type, VirtualBox and
> Thunderbird are trading between one and two in top. Nothing else stays in
> 3rd and 4th place or later.

That was my only good idea. I would look at the load averages in top also
to make sure it's not the sum of a lot of small things, but this does not
look like the problem.  Are you using IMAP or POP3 for retrieving your
mail. Are these on a schedule? Maybe it is delaying you while it checks for
new mail?

Bill