[PLUG-TALK] Thunderbird delays

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Wed Mar 14 18:26:13 UTC 2018

On 03/14/2018 11:14 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018, Dick Steffens wrote:
>
>> Every minutes. I'll try a longer schedule and see if it makes a
>> difference. However, I've had it checking every minute for years, and it
>> didn't used to be a problem.
>
> Dick,
>
>   Is the delay constant? Specifically, do you encounter the delay as
> soon as
> you log on and start typing in an application or does the delay seem to
> increase over time?

I stay logged in. Occasionally I'll shut down Thunderbird and restart
it, and the problem goes away for awhile. So I guess it does degrade
over time. In that sense, I do have a similar problem with the
transcription playback software I use on my virtual Win7. It depends on
the quality of the recording, but sometimes, after I've paused for a few
minutes, when I come back to it, I get a nasty distortion. If I shut
down the program (not the virtual machine) and restart it, the problem
goes away.

> I don't use Thunderbird and wonder if it's similar to
> Firefox in hogging resources and slowing things down the longer it's used.

Could be. I've taken to shutting down Firefox once a day, if I remember
to do it. I use it enough to check spellings of names of people and
places that I leave it loaded all the time.

I double checked the email fetch schedules for the four accounts I use.
I had my home account and my work account set for 1 minute intervals,
and the other two set for 10 minutes. I reset home and work to 2
minutes. We'll see if it make any difference. I'm guessing it won't, and
that the issue is more related to some kind of Mozilla coding practice
that seems to be a hog.

I'll attempt to put some time into more careful analysis after I get
today's work done.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens