[PLUG-TALK] Way off topic - medicare, under 30's

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Sep 5 02:11:57 UTC 2018

This list is aging.  Most of us here are over 30, but I'm
hoping for "under 30" thoughts, under 40 at a stretch.
So young responses, please.

Current projections show the medicare trust fund running
out around 2050 or so.  Somebody born after 1985 will pay
FICA (or the single payer substitute) until they retire.

BUT ... that money will be used up on old farts like me
before 2050.  Unless demographics change, or widely-shared
productivity gains occur, those born after 1985 will get
far less than they paid in.

I turn 65 wednesday.  I am expected to pay for Medicare
Part B.  I will, but I will try to ignore it and pay cash,
when I can.  Partly selfishness; I'll get what I want,
not what some "one-size-fits-all" bureaucrat wants.

Mostly because I believe that what I paid in was used up
(and more) by my own parents.  Since I won't be around to
pay for young folk when they get old, it seems unfair to
penalize you young folks, since you should be investing
LOTS of money NOW for your own old age.  Please do.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com