[PLUG-TALK] Physical tool user group?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Apr 11 23:08:50 PDT 2019

After a jam stripped the ring gear in my /second/ $50
Homelite electric chainsaw, I realized that I don't know
a damned thing about which tool brands are good or bad,
and I don't know anybody to ask.  That includes my niece,
who is a marketing manager for Craftsman/Black&Decker.

Brand names can no longer be trusted; even Craftsman was
evolving into garbage while Eddie Lampert was destroying
the company.  For example, Homelite, Ryobi, and consumer
Poulan chainsaws are now made by Techtronic (!) Industries
in Hong Kong, and are the same mechanism in different
livery.  Same crap, different wrap, no connection to the
original US, Japanese, and Swedish companies.  Repair parts
are unavailable when newer models go on sale.

Where do old farts go to talk about currently available
good tools and bad with the young farts, who will be
opinionated old farts some day?

There are plenty of salesfolk with name brand crap to sell.
There's a woodworking guild in southwest Portland.  But I
don't know of any meetups, or online communities, for
tools (besides automotive and electronics).

So - where do Portland's hardware tool users gather?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com