[PLUG-TALK] Android phone question

Rigel Hope gnu at rigelhope.org
Tue Aug 27 12:14:37 PDT 2019

i have had months-to-years of poor voice service in an otherwise
highly covered area using a non-carrier-sourced android phone. i was
never able to nail down the reason for it. I spent quite some time
with my carrier's (t-mo) tech support trying to troubleshoot this, to
no avail. data was never a problem.

i suspect the switching algorithms and/or the specific 3g/4g/lte
channels the radios are tuned for. usually the radio subassemblies are
still using binary blobs, is my understanding.

i eventually found that i could switch all traffic to 3g from a
default 4g/lte, and make calls perfectly fine with my older phone.
without the switch quality was at best intermittent, when i could even
connect a call. with the newer phone (moto g5) i havent had the same
sort of problems generally.