[PLUG-TALK] Lenovo ThinkPad X200 disk drive question

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 27 05:37:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 3:46 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> suggests the SSD needs an
> adapter when it replaces the HDD. I am not finding such an adapter on the
> Web. Is this because the SSD is a different size than the HDD?

My ancient Lenovo T60s and X61s use "standard" form-factor
3.5 inch SATA drives.  The drive is mounted in a thin metal
cage (partly for spacing) with a "pull tab" to remove it
from the drive bay.  There are also a couple of elastomer
bumpers on the edges, which cushion the drive against
vibration.  I would expect similar padding for any rotating
platter laptop drive.  For SSD, probably unnecessary.

I have a few dozen extra cages, purchased used for a dime a
piece from a now-defunct surplus store.  I also have many
brand-new-but-vintage 3.5 inch hard drives, just in case
they stop making them in the future.

I'll share some spare cages, but I'm keeping the drives and
the bumpers.  When you recycle an old Lenovo laptop, save
the old cages and screws and bumpers.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com