[PLUG-TALK] Lenovo ThinkPad X200 disk drive question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Dec 27 06:31:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 20:44:39 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> During a recent 1.5 hours spent on the telephone with Lenovo tech
>> support to obtain a cable to connect an SSD drive on my new Thinkpad
>> P73 I was dismayed to discover that, of the half a dozen employees
>> who I spoke to, none understood what I meant when I said 'hard
>> drive.' I repeat, these were employees in *tech support*.

>I'm not surprised. Where were these folks located (geographically)?
>I've had similar communications difficulties not only with
>tech/customer support folks but also with regulatory agency staff.

Of course, they don't start the conversation with their geographic
location, so who knows? A couple had foreign accents in their English,
but most spoke one or another variety of American English. I should add
that coastal southern was common, including on the telephone menuing
system.

>> PS, I failed completely at my goal of getting them to send me the
>> cable. Lenovo does not publish the diagrams and schematics, so I had
>> no part number. The employees had nothing to enter into their
>> computers to order what I needed. It was a frustrating, but
>> educational experience.

>Have you looked on the Web for a service manual for that model?

This model has been out for only a couple of months. And yes, I looked,
but no se encuentra nada.

>Rather than 'drive' consider using 'non-volatile memory'.

Even I had to think for a moment for the meaning of 'non-volatile
memory.' I'll stick with 'drive.' :)