[PLUG-TALK] Municipal fiber in Hillsboro & Multnomah Co?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Jan 17 01:00:08 UTC 2019

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>   An interesting short update from Mike Rogoway on oregonlive.com
Rich> about the potential for municipal fiber in Hillsboro and all of
Rich> Multnomah County.  <https://tinyurl.com/y8zm3rjx>.

Rich>   I wonder if the issues encountered by the small communities
Rich> cited in the article could be avoided by proper procedures at the
Rich> county level.

Rich>   Russell will certainly be aware of this effort and, I'm
Rich> confident, will share updates with us.

I haven't read the article, but the tweet I saw from him was kind of
snark-filled.  I think the Oregonian is afraid of losing Comcast and
Centurylink ad revenue.

Rogoway doesn't mention Chattanooga TN.  I met someone recently who moved
here from there, and couldn't stop talking about how wonderful it was to
have a utility that was focused on benefiting their users and not their
stockholders.

He doesn't actually cite who had problems.  I think he might be
referring to Ashland that had some trouble very early on, almost 20
years ago.  Last I heard, SandyNet was going gangbusters.  It's a pretty
lame article.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net