[PLUG-TALK] Quickbooks - online, virtual, emulator ...

Bill Barry wabarry at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:48:33 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, 3:28 PM Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com wrote:

> My wife has been using Quickbooks for her medical business
> for more than a decade, because her accountant does.  We
> run it inside a 64 bit Windows 7 guest in a VirtualBox
> host on a 5 year old Centos-clone Linux box.
>
> I haven't paid much attention to the Win7 guest, but it
> has sprung a leak; something (presumably malware) is
> eating about 100 megabytes of virtual disk per hour, and
> it doesn't show in any user directories.  I compressed
> the NTFS and created some breathing room in the 80 GB
> partition, but the extra space erodes fast, unless we
> leave the virtual machine turned off.
>
> Imagined alternatives:
>  - Upgrade treadmill for Windoze and Quickbooks.
>  - Container app for Quickbooks (not Wine compatible)
>  - 99.9% data compatible Linux accounting software.
>  - Quickbooks online from Intuit
>
> I do not like "online apps", our data held hostage by the
> application vendor, and shared with friends at Fort Meade.
> But that might be the most practical way to run Quickbooks.
> On Intuit's hardware.  It does get all the Windows crapola
> out of the house and off my backups, for $200 per year.
> My wife will close the business sooner or later.
>
> I presume there is some way to copy Quickbooks data files
> from the Intuit cloud to a local LINUX file, or to a
> thumb drive, via a web browser running on Linux.
>
> Ideas?  Sympathy?  Snarky humiliation?
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com

The easiest path is QB online, it takes care of the updating for you and
that should make the accountant happy. In fact he might have an opinion on
which you should do. There are also virtual windows machines at Azure you
could install your desktop QB on but that is just another way of getting on
the upgrade treadmill. Our you could take another stab at figuring out what
is wrong with your current setup.

Bill