[PLUG-TALK] Mobile phone SIM card question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 13 17:31:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, 13 May 2019, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> Yes. You will need a new SIM card. The SIM does not specify calling plan
> normally but SIM cards are specific to the carrier and cannot be reused
> either. For example, if I change to another SIM card, I cannot use the old
> one again. Once a SIM is deactivated, it is no longer usable.

Bryan,

I understand that SIM cards are specific to a carrier (e.g., AT&T). Are they
also specific to the MVNO that provides access to AT&T? That's what I don't
know.

If each MVNO sells it's own AT&T SIM cards, that's okay with me. Which leads
to another question: our two phones (Nokia 6.1 Plus and iPhone6 (A1549 GSM)
work on the AT&T network (except when the MVNO fails to send a statement for
me to pay). If I buy SIM cards for another AT&T MVNO am I confident the
phones will continue working with AT&T?

If I can swap SIM cards to change providers I'll buy a couple at Target for
FreedomPop because they're on sale for $35 for 12 month's service.

Thanks,