[PLUG-TALK] Time shifting

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Nov 1 19:42:58 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I run ntpd on my server/workstation and it keeps the LAN within the drift
> limits of secondary time servers. I assume the displayed times are correct
> within a few seconds.

You can run "ntpq -c peer" to see your current synchronization status.

> Both my Android mobile phone (ultimately AT&T) and the Vtech landline phone
> (Frontier Comm) display the time, and both are consistently 2 minutes behind
> the computers.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?

I suspect your computer's time is not correct. Keeping track of time
is a core competency of phone companies (for billing) and they do it
very well.

I don't know exactly how you stop and start services on your machine,
but what I'd do (as root) is

1. stop ntpd
2. ntpdate time.nist.gov
3. start ntpd