[PLUG-TALK] Best place to see Comet Neowise near Portland

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Jul 18 05:14:40 UTC 2020

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> I've failed twice to see the Neowise comet, due to clouds and red
Keith> scattering at pre-dawn and post-dusk.  I did see Jupiter this
Keith> morning, /extremely/ bright.

Keith> I'm not an astonomer, and don't know where the best "seeing" is
Keith> at some elevation on public land within an hour of Portland
Keith> (including climbing time).  Many public parks are closed at dark.
Keith> There is way too much scattering and haze near Portland, and the
Keith> west hills and many parks are forested on the north side.

Keith> Has anyone on this list seen Neowise?  From what location?

I just saw it. Thank you for reminding me to look. I was in NE Portland,
and it was only visible from here with the sky conditions with
binoculars. I used 10x50's, and it was still pretty faint, at about 10pm.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net