[PLUG-TALK] Memorial Day: COVID, contention, collaboration

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat May 23 11:09:00 PDT 2020

I sent the following to older electronics engineer friends,
who span the mainstream political spectrum but share a
commitment to high quality, collaborative engineering.
That applies to Linux, and most of us on this list.

I'm glad you folks are staying in touch, and staying safe.

My wife is a doctor, I'm a sorta-scientist.  Discount what
you hear from media, on youtube, from politicians.  Listen
to the ER doctors, listen to the epidemiologists, listen
to credentialed biological scientists.  Attempt to read
peer-reviewed medical journal articles ... hard work, but
not as difficult as Maxwell's equations.  You will need to
look up a lot of words and ideas.  And you will be amazed
at what we can still do with these aging brains of ours.

Read the history of the 1918 flu pandemic.  That killed the
President's grandfather, perhaps 100 million others around
the world.  COVID-19 could evolve into worse, given enough
human test tubes to mutate in.  Read about the failed
swine flu vaccine; we have more biological tools now, but
discipline and skill and LUCK are still required.

Our response to this plague will be studied by enemy
biowarfare scientists far into the future.  They will craft
their future bio-weapons to target the sloppy behaviors and
mental weaknesses we demonstrate today.  They will exploit
our reactive belligerence and internal hostility.  We
should defend our rights, but MUST defend 330 million
other Americans as well, especially those we disagree with.

E Pluribus Unum - out of many, one.  Our greatest strength
is that we can agree to disagree, and still accomplish
great things together.  We can turn our worst enemies, even
Nazi criminals who slaughtered millions in death camps,
into citizens, and forge teams that can fly us to the Moon.

We can fight this plague, or we can fight each other.  You
don't need a rocket scientist to tell you which way is UP.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com