[PLUG-TALK] Linguistics anyone?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed May 27 19:44:09 UTC 2020

Tomas,

A topic that you might find interesting is spectrograms. A spectrogram
is a graphical representation of a bit of speech. Here is an example
(labeled image24.png):

	https://app.box.com/file/670502546298

Linguists have created spectrograms from audio files for decades.
Lately I believe that some work has been done on converting a
spectrogram to text, although spectrogram players are more advanced.

I have created spectrograms with Audacity, although most linguists
stick with Praat (= 'speech' in Dutch). When you look at a spectrogram
you will note that there are multiple bands, each of which represents a
frequency. For example, when we produce a vowel we produce three
frequencies (called formants), and when we hear a vowel sound our
brains interpret the frequencies as belonging to one vowel sound.

I recall a number of years ago taking graduate level phonetics where,
toward the end of the course, the professor gave us six spectrograms,
each of a short English sentence. Our job was to figure out what each
sentence was. I got four of the six, and a few sounds from each of the
other two. My score was 68, which turned out to be the high score in
the class. Figuring out spectrograms is not easy! Good luck getting a
computer to recognize a spectrogram!

I also put my linguistics pdf file up on box.

On Tue, 26 May 2020 20:01:58 -0700
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo: