[PLUG-TALK] Spanish b

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 02:56:44 UTC 2020

For John,
I sent your essay to an east coast friend.  She responded:
'Bill, who taught Spanish phonetics, disagrees with the idea that the
Spanish don't notice the difference in the "b" sounds, because they observe
the rules very well.  It's a hard "b" at the beginning of an utterance
after the period, but intervocalically it's the fricativa. Consonants are
difficult for some learners, esp. the "d" and the "t," because intervocalic
"d" is pronounced softly like the "th" in "they."'

I would have to reread your essay, but I did not think you said they do not
notice the difference.  If you would like to whip the horse some more, feel
free.

-Denis