[PLUG-TALK] There is no cloud

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Feb 9 18:16:48 UTC 2021

I saw nice quote in a discussion thread this morning:

   There is no cloud, just someone else's computer.

At one level, it's a fairly obvious statement. At a more unexamined
level, it has the benefit of raising questions like

* What happens if my 'cloud' provider goes bankrupt?
* Who gets ownership of my data at that provider?
* Who guarantees that my data is destroyed (or protected) correctly?
* What legal protections do I have if that new owner leaks my data?

After all, it just lives on someone else's computer, aka a normal
business asset.

I'm sure different companies make different guarantees, but in the end
closing or bankrupting a business is up to its owner, not you.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W