[PLUG-TALK] most common language spoken at home other than English or Spanish

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Oct 16 12:38:49 UTC 2021

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 11:05:02 -0700 Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com>:
><https://twitter.com/Locati0ns/status/1448703737833287680/photo/1>
>What do you think John?  Believable?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 11:49:03AM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I'd be more inclined to give it some credence if the authors of the web
> page had stated their methodology, most importantly the source of their
> data. As it stands it appears to be a collection of personal opinions
> from English speakers with no attempt at verification. These days, even
> census data frequently raises questions.

The sources are at the bottom - Business Insider ( a subscription
service ) probably downloaded US census tables as an excel
spreadsheet and sorted them, then drew a pretty map.  The
US census tables are interpolated for years like 2017, and
includes estimate percentages and errors.

The actual tablulated data from the US census,
extrapolated to 2017, is here:

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=DP02&g=0100000US%240400000&tid=ACSDP1Y2017.DP02&hidePreview=true

I'm busy, but if there are any obsessive programmers
here :-), I imagine the downloaded tables could be
crunched and sorted into a 50 state table of "third
languages" in a few hours.

The interyear US census tables may be extrapolated
from the 1980, 1990, 2000, and 2010 censuses.

The site has a note that the 2020 census data hasn't been
released yet because of COVID.  And perhaps top-down
interference with that census.  Expect a LOT of controversy
erupting during the 2022 election; representation and
elections are supposed to be calibrated by the US census.
The spirit of January 6 endures, unfortunately.

(There can't be that many Democrats!  They were all
killed by vaccination, according to Qanon!  RIOT!!! )

Keith

P.S.  I don't doubt Vietnamese is third most common
language in Oregon.  I've attended Vietnamese weddings;
"word word word Maria word word word"  My wife's med
school study buddy was a "boat person".  There are indeed
many different languages spoken in Vietnam, but the
Vietnamese who escaped here were mostly urban Catholics.

The twitter map shows a concentration of Hmong hill
people (mostly from Laos) in Wisconsin, relative to
Vietnamese - here's the story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_in_Wisconsin

My downstairs apartment neighbors in the late 70's were
Hmong - when they first moved in, they built a fire in
the electric oven.  We showed them how to work the
burners and oven, and pay their power bill.  Their
grandkids are probably scientists and lawyers now.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com