[PLUG-TALK] Wanted: 10"-12.9" tablet

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 25 20:58:28 UTC 2021

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021, Tomas Kuchta wrote:

> A typical, bad manners response .... Why don't you .... ! I hope it saves
> you trouble with tablets/andriod.

Tomas,

Yet full of helpful advice. :-)

> 1. It you really need to automate this - external hdmi usb powered screen,
> is cheap, can lay flat and can be directly connected to linux without
> extra hassle.
> Such as
> https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Monitor-Computer-Speakers-Protector/dp/B07V1SQ966/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=33OKX1D038DNU&dchild=1&keywords=lepow+portable+monitor&qid=1635192263&smid=A1GKCCB83E4OXA&sprefix=lepow&sr=8-3

Great solution! Found one that's less expensive. See below.

> 2. If you do use tablet. You could skip the SW integration headache by
> simply putting your notes to PDF and use your finger to flip the pages as
> you progress through the presentation.

Except then the viewer sees my eyes off to the side reading from the
monitor. Linux teleprompter software lets me look at the camera and read the
text that's in front of it.

> 3. Do not get any HW - Just read the notes, then add the presentation
> slides to match the sound track pace. If too slow, just play the sound 25%
> faster when recording the slide show.

See #2 above.

> I'd probably do 3., unless looking for excuse to buy 1. Tablets are hassle
> and total waste of money because they are designed to be obsolete fast
> (android tablets do not get updates and/or batteries die in about 3 years
> ==> ewasye generators), IMHO.

I had been using PDFs printed in 24pt font, but I'm still looking away from
the camera.

I'll buy the AOC remote monitor and get a USB-A to USB-C converter. I was
going to use my ThinkPad X200 (remembering that I do have a laptop/tablet),
but I like this better. I'll by a piece of beam splitter glass and build a
frame for it with a base that also hold the PTZ web cam. Less expensive than
the least expensive teleprompters on Amazon.

Regards,

Rich

Thanks very much.