[PLUG] CUPS trouble shooting help needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 1 15:55:04 UTC 2004

  Since getting the system to boot into the 2.4.27 kernel yesterday
(actually, it's been since last week) I cannot print anything. I'm running
CUPS on this RH 7.3 box. Here's what I've done:

  Cleaned up /etc/cups/printers.conf (so they're all idling and waiting for
jobs).

  Killed a stuck parallel port process.

  Stopped and restarted /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups.

  Checked that the cable was properly seated on the port.

  Jobs don't make it out of the server to the printer. When I invoke
/usr/sbin/printers I can see the jobs, but they never complete. Same with a
test sent from there.

  I've had cups hang before, but it's always been a stuck parallel port
process and/or printers.conf showing the printer as not available. I've run
through all my experiences and tried all the things I could imagine, but
still no luck. I'd greatly apprecate some external suggestions.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>