[PLUG] Free Software building options for network C++ application to Win32

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Sep 1 17:59:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Russell Senior wrote:

> I am looking for options for compiling the C++ slave component of my
> master/slave system so that I can get random win32-using losers to
> help me out (with informed consent, of course).
>
> I know about Cygwin and DJGPP, but the former (I think) needs a
> bunch of infrastructure installed, and DJGPP (I think) seems to lack
> POSIX-y networking interfaces.  I was kind of hoping to have a
> simple EXE someone (like my unconverted relatives) could download
> and run.

Have you looked at the MinGW stuff?

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

One of the OGI researchers wanted it setup as a cross compiler so he
could develop Win32 applications on Linux. I've got some rpms built,
though I admit that they (the packages, not necessarily the binary
files contained in them) still feel a bit ducttape-y.

I'm able to produce simple .exe binaries ("hello, world" and a numeric
muliplication loop), but time constraints have prevented me from
trying to compile something even mildly complicated. The researcher
for whom I built this stuff seems happy, but I haven't really pressed
him that hard (for fear I'll have more work to do :-).

Holler if you want more info.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>