[PLUG] Free Software building options for network C++ application to Win32

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 2 00:06:02 PDT 2004

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> writes:

Paul> Have you looked at the MinGW stuff?

Paul> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

Paul> One of the OGI researchers wanted it setup as a cross compiler
Paul> so he could develop Win32 applications on Linux.

Russell> Ah, hey, it's in Debian too.  I'll check it out.  Thanks!

Russell> Hmm.  Doesn't seem to have unixy network api.  Have to either
Russell> rewrite that or look elsewhere.

Well, come to find out, with a minimum of commenting out stuff (argp
not available, but they don't need no steenking options!), and a minor
tweek (gethostbyname2 wasn't available, but plain old gethostbyname
was), it compiles under cygwin's g++. Combine it with the cygwin1.dll
(just dumped in the same directory), and it runs.  The binaries pack
into a 600k tarball too.  It runs about 1/3 slower under cygwin, but I
guess this'll do the trick.

And of course, I can't distribute this willy nilly, since at least the
cygwin1.dll is GPL and my tarball doesn't include source, but for my
intended purposes I think it's fine.

Thanks for your suggestion!

seniorr at aracnet.com