[PLUG] Replacing hard drive

Ed Sawicki plug at alcpress.com
Thu Sep 2 14:35:02 UTC 2004

Rich Shepard wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Ed Sawicki wrote:
>

>>Do you think it's necessary to use -c on a new drive?
>>

>Ed,
>
>  Probably not. But, I just discovered that option and thought it wouldn't
>hurt anything. Does it slow things down a lot? Is it unnecessary because the
>manufacturer already locked out bad bits?

The manufacturer has built spare disk sectors into the drive. As sectors
fail,
they're automatically detected by the drive and replaced by spare sectors.
Once the pool of spare sectors is exhausted, the drive is no longer able to
do this and bad sectors become visible to the outside world.

With a new drive, presumably  the pool is far from being exhausted.

Ed