[PLUG] Re: Re: KVM switch recommendations?

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Fri Sep 3 08:10:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 09:09 -0700, Keith Morse wrote:
>
> > It does doesn't it.  And the cables don't look too expensive either.  Sure
> > is tempting.  It would be good to get a copy of the manual before
> > purchase.  One complaint I have with low-end kvm's are the keys used to
> > soft-switch to another port.
>
> I don't tend to worry about the keys for soft-switching; I've found they
> mess up often enough that I just use the hard-switch.  Since this is for
> a rack in a server room, it's not going to be used all that much.
> Something that's interesting about it is that switching to a particular
> port is done directly with a button for each port.  The Belkins I've
> used in the past make you cycle through, which can be tedious with 16
> ports.  (The OSD with soft-switch helps, sorta.)
>
> And yes, I think the cables are your basic M/M KVM cables, nothing
> fancy.
>
> Linkskey certainly has a cheap-looking website; it looks like a Yahoo!
> shopping cart: http://www.linkskey.com/kvm/lkv-1680.htm.  Heh, they seem
> to have cut & paste the description from their 2-port KVM:
>
> Use one keyboard, one monitor, one mouse to control TWO Computers

On the main kvm page http://www.linkskey.com/kvm/kvm.htm  there's another
version LKV-0168OSD which appears to have soft-key switching and the
ability to chain units together.  The LKV-1680 looks to be a very simple
unit, manual switching etc...

If you do acquire the kvm, I'd be very interested in your evaluation of
it.