[PLUG] KVM switch recommendations?

Dan Haskell danh at fork.com
Fri Sep 3 08:26:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Chris Jantzen wrote:

> I have a Belkin 8-port Omniview and the one really annoying thing (I
> believe this is the same across the entire line, as of my vintage) is
> that it uses double tap Scroll Lock as an attention key to the
> KVM. But Scroll Lock is used in the Linux console, and the KVM doesn't
> always catch both...

I have a OmniCube at work with is just fine - except for the scroll lock
issue (which causes problems with Lotus Notes).

The Belkin I had at home was a total PITA. About the third time that piece
of garbage spontaneously went into control-lock mode(!), I pitched it out
a window. As I remember, Will Cooley had seen similar issues.

The key difference seems to be that that one gets it's power off of the
keyboard line. If you decide to buy a Belkin, be sure it has it's own
power supply.

Dan