[PLUG] OT: connecting two switches?

Evan Heidtmann clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com
Fri Sep 3 17:48:02 PDT 2004

This question has (AFAICT) nothing to do with GNU/Linux, but one of you
probably knows the answer.

I have two devices that act like switches. One is an Actiontec 1520
router/gateway/whatever and the other is a WRT54G. The Actiontec drops
over 50% of all packets when only one machine is plugged into its
ethernet jacks. I want to connect all my machines into the WRT, with the
WRT the only thing connected to the Actiontec, so I've managed to coax
the Actiontec into functioning by connecting a second PCMCIA ethernet
card to the Actiontec.

My question is this: Is it bad to run cat5 between a "LAN" port on the
WRT and a "LAN" port on the Actiontec? I don't need it to pass traffic
at all, I just want to avoid any possible negative consequences.

Evan