[PLUG] Video cards -- 1.5v AGP

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Sep 4 21:12:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I do need a new video card for my new box; apparently Soyo does not
> have one built in.
>
>   My research on the Web suggests that the ATI Radeon 7500 would be a
> good purchase to use in an AGP slot that requires a 1.5v card.
>
>   Comments? Alternatives? It's not for games, but for 2D work and the
> occasional 3D terrain map.

I think the best 2D cards are still Matrox.  There's kernel drivers for
all that stuff (I have a G450 that I love).

The only tiny unfortunate thing is that the mga_vid driver that supports
the backend scaler for video resizing (not important for X, but makes
images BEAUTIFUL for DVD and other video playback) doesn't compile for
2.6, so you're stuck with 2.4 series kernels.

Those are my cents.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin