[PLUG] Request Debian Install Help

Evan Heidtmann clydefrog at adnap.no-ip.com
Mon Sep 6 20:43:03 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 13:03, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> I am attempting to use a NetInstall CD dated 2004-09-05 (I downloaded it
> yesterday) and, like the other CDs I have attempted to install, it
> consistently hangs on the first boot (but not on the installer CD) right
> when it tries to load the Firewire Ethernet driver.

[...]

> So, oh great Debian gurus, what the hell do I need to do to install
> Debian on my laptop?

(I wrote this before reading your message about removing discover. This
might be useful anyway)

Write down the message it gives you on boot. Then, with the debian
partition mounted on /debian, do this: (replace $MSG with some part of
the message you get)

# grep $MSG /debian/etc/rc?.d/*

Track down which of those scripts is giving you the message, and then
delete the symlinks:

# rm /debian/etc/rc?.d/*offending-script-name

Then you should be able to boot and eventually figure out why that was
making it hang. You should probably submit a bug report about this.

You might also check various logs to diagnose the exact problem.

Evan