[PLUG] Working my way toward the surface

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 8 11:05:03 UTC 2004

   After losing a hard drive on Sunday (and having the other one act
strangely), I've been pre-occupied with getting my server up and running
again. I had not intended to make a drastic, sudden change from RH 7.3 to
Slackware 10.0, but here I am.

   I think crucial services (such as smtp) are running again. However, there
are many niggling issues to resolve. The main one now is getting pine to run
correctly on the console.

   Every time a new message comes in the system speaker beeps and the display
is messed up. Also, the messages are not properly processed by procmail
recipes. They all end up in my inbox with no text content and addressed (by
the MLM) to 'undisclosed recipients'.

   This is pine-4.60.

   After I get this fixed I'll work on getting X running again, figure out
why it won't work with the Kensington Orbit trackball, and test/re-install
all other applications.

   All suggestions about the immediate mail problem with pine will be very
much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)