[PLUG] Transcontinental ping times? for distributed symphonies

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Sep 8 13:42:01 PDT 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> This isn't a Linux question, but I'm sure somebody here knows
> somebody who knows the answer.
>
> Question:  With fast machines at each end, and fat pipes running
> close to the main internet hubs, what is the fastest ping times seen
> running from coast to coast?

The short answer: I can get ca. 69ms to Florida from Oregon.

The long answer: From OGI's network, connected to the wider net both
via Internet/2 and a decent AT&T pipe, here are some ping times (ping
-q -c 4 HOSTNAME):

West coast:

* limestone.uorgon.edu       3.855 ms
* www3.cac.washington.edu    4.826 ms