[PLUG] More new experiences

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Sep 9 07:34:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Having had to completely restore my server/workstation -- a work
> still in progress -- I've experienced a bunch of hardware and
> software issues that have not been seen here before.
>
>  The most annoying one is something screwy with syslog.conf
> (attached) that allows all new incoming mail messages to activate
> the system speaker and overwrite the screen (in console mode) for
> each new message.

I don't see anything amiss. I guess you could try commenting out all
mentions of mail.* to see if that provides temporary relief -- but I
doubt it will.

I'd be interested to see the output of "ps xa"; my initial hunch is
that some process other than syslog is monitoring inbound mail...

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>