[PLUG] More new experiences

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 9 16:36:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> The biff setting is per terminal. Running
> `find /dev/pts -user $USER -exec chmod u-x {} \;` should stop
> notification on all your terminals, unless this console is on one of the
> other devices. (FYI doing chmod u-x `tty` is equiv to biff n, and
> chmod u+x `tty` is equiv to biff y)

Elliott,

   Thank you. I just ran this and I'll see if it makes a difference.

   Nothing writes across the virtual terminals in X, but I can hear the beep
every time a new message arrives in my inbox. I'll let you know how this
works when I kill X.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>