[PLUG] Dumb question du jour

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 10 06:28:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, alan wrote:

> Non-standard resolutions are a pain under X.
>
> I just set up a system with 1920x1200.
>
> Unless you added specific mode lines, you are probably getting 800x600 or
> worse.
>
> Check the xfree86 log in /var/log and see what is getting set up.

Alan,

   The maximum resolution of this Hyundai L70S monitor is 1280x1024. It
should run at that, and it did when I first set up a machine with
Slackware-9.1 (a couple of months ago at one of the clinics.)

   Last night it occurred to me that the problem may be related to the X
server version. Slackware-9.1 uses XFree86-4.3.0 while Slackware-10.0 uses
6.7.0 from X.org. I recall searching the Web to learn why the switch and it
has to do with licensing, as I recall.

   Anyway, with the other hard drives (the ones with Slackware-9.1 on 'em)
the display on this monitor is 1280x1024 with very clear characters on both
the console and in X. Also, the virtual terminal invocation options work
properly. That is '-fg white -bg black' does produce the expected
appearance. Now, I need to reverse those to have white text on a black
background (my preference).

   According to X.org.log, 1280x1024 is not supported. xwininfo indicates
that the root window is 1024x768, but those applications that open in their
own windows (not in a virtual terminal) are approximately 900x700 dpi
resolution, according to xwininfo. I can send a copy of the log file if that
helps.

   I did not set specific mode lines; I've never learned how to properly do
so.

   The display is not easy on the eyes, consistent or attractive. What are
your recommendations for how I should proceed to work toward resolving this
situation?

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)