[PLUG] Connection pooling/teaming and ISPs

Stafford A. Rau srau at rauhaus.org
Fri Sep 10 13:24:02 PDT 2004

* Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> [040910 11:51]:

> What BGP daemon do you use that keeps the routes in a MySQL database?
> Or is this home-brewed?

Very home-brewed, and more for my learning experience for now than
actually being useful.

I have a perl script that builds a list of all of our bgp routers by
looking through our Rancid (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) configs
for /^router bgp/, then uses "clogin" from the rancid package to do a
"show ip bgp sum" on all of them (I could have used Net::Telnet::Cisco
instead, but was lazy). It then sticks the timestamp, neighbor ip, and
number of prefixes into a mysql database, one table for each of our bgp
routers.

I'm now working on presenting the data in html using apache-perl,
Apache::DBI, and HTML::Mason.

As I said, it's more a learning experience for me than anything else,
but I do hope to build up a suite of reasonably useful tools for our
network engineering group based around perl, mysql, and HTML::Mason.

My inspiration came from this presentation about extending the use of
Rancid and other tools: http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0210/abley.html

--Stafford